jeudi 12 avril 2007

Father of the term genocide

His name was Rafał Lemkin and he was Polish. What especially cought my attention is that in 1933 he made a presentation to the Legal Council of the League of Nations conference on international criminal law in Madrid, for which he prepared an essay on the Crime of Barbarity as a crime against international law. The concept of the crime, was based mostly on the experience of Assyrians massacred in Iraq during the 1933 Simele massacre and the Armenian Genocide during World War I. Later the concept of crime of barbarity evolved in his writings into the idea of genocide. The definition of the term genocide was presented in his main work Axis Rule in Occupied Europe published in 1944 by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

Quite interesting, and I will keep it in my mind. For the time being I learn to know so many names of Norwegian and Scandinavian peace activists from the League of Nations that it is good to hear about one Polish. And shame that I hadn't heard of him before. If I had studied law, maybe I would know his name. I am also quite curious about his idea of the possibility of defending peace through criminal law. I don't get it exactly right now, but it seems quite relevant for my project, so I feel that I have to find out more about his work.

Aucun commentaire: