jeudi 26 avril 2007

Rewriting the history of Lithuania...

I feel really puzzled, since I cannot believe that somebody from the Indiana University could have done such a mistake (the context is the membership in the League of Nations - see the whole table). Although I looked up the Lithuanian timetable in the interwar period in several articles I had to pinch myself to make sure it was not me who messed something. But it seems that I am right. Lithuania, as well as Latvia and Estonia, were independent states between the First and the Second World War. And similarily to Latvia and Estonia, Lithuania did enter the League of Nations in September 1921.
Even in regard to the date given on the web site I am a little suspicious. Lithuania declered independence 11th March 1990, in 1991 the country entered the United Nations. And it is the day of 11th March which is celebrated in Lihuania every year as the independence day.
Is there anything I don't know??? If there is, I made a fool of myself, because I sent an e-mail to the archive asking them to correct the mistake...

1 commentaire:

martique a dit…

It is not the League of Nations Archives in Geneva, but the Indiana University which is responsible for the web site. I have corrected the information.