samedi 24 février 2007

Mali - Part 1

After a few weeks of digesting my impressions from Mali I feel that it is high time I shared also some other memories than just the linguistic holiday perturbations. I have to refrain myself from describing Mali as a typical African country, since I had never visited any. Neither am I going to give a tourist-friendly description of Bamako or Segou as it can be found in guidebooks. Instead of this I shall recall some of the most enjoyable and exciting moments I have experienced during the fortnight’s holiday in Mali.
Voilà!

Days in Bamako
In the beginning a few words of clarification: I have not been on any safari, and I have seen neither lion, gorilla, giraffe nor hippo, as some had suggested it is a must on a trip to Africa. Firstly, it is not especially usual that wild creatures take a walk in a capital city, I suppose. Secondly, I suspect it was not exactly the best latitude to experience such attractions.

Most of the days I spent getting to know Bamako - Mali’s capital city. Thanks to the kindness of my loyal guide Youssouf, who accompanied me in my daily escapades from Korofina, where I was living, to the different parts of the city centre, I managed to see quite a lot. According to my host I managed to see even more than he had done during three months since he had arrived at Bamako. But it is apparently a question of quality contra quantity, so I cannot completely agree on it.







Le marche des artisians was probably the place in Bamako which I found the most fascinating. Making your way in the crowded streets which form the market’s layout it is possible to buy anything you need. At least almost as possible as it is probable to lose your way. As for my part the unquestioned market hit is a corner with stalls offering equipment for fortune-tellers and other magicians. Fancy a monkey skull or a gazelle tail? Here is the place.





Enjoying the diversity of quite exotic products I followed my wish and bought a fabric for an African dress. With a help of Youssouf and his friend Nana a process of choosing a fabric and later of having it sewn took no more than few days. And still in Bamako I could proudly wear my new dress, which was partly inspired by some traditional local trends.






With regard to Bamako monuments, I think I liked particularly Tour de l’Afrique (left) which overlooks the road to the airport. Maybe it cannot compete with Bank of Africa (right) on being the highest in the city, but it is certainly much more original.




In the need for taking a breath of fresh air after weekdays in Bamako nothing could compare to the tranquil atmosphere of the Tinbuctu restaurant on the other side of the Niger. Invited there by my friend I enjoyed this marvellous place, as well as delicious couscous, with real pleasure. And the peaceful and comfortable Arabic design of Tinbuctu will take a special place in my Bamako memories.


Invitation to Le Centre Culturel Français on the Saturday evening was another pleasant event arranged by my friend. And concert of Malian contemporary most famous singer Salif Keita, which took place there, let me experience and enjoy a top-class of the African music.










T.B.C.

Aucun commentaire: