dimanche 25 février 2007

Mali - Part 2

While it is still snowing outside, I continue the Bamako story…

Wedding in Keti

« Le dimanche a Bamako, c’est le jour des mariages… » sing Amadou and Mariam, as far as now my favourite Malian group, which I am listening to quite often here in Oslo. And the words appeared not without meaning since the first Sunday in Bamako my friends and me were invited to a marriage in Keti, not far away from the capital city.

Although we did not see the ceremony itself, we could join the singing party in the village centre. There was a big tent, where all invited women, and we (the only European guests, as it seemed), were sitting, singing or listening to others performance. The men were apparently enjoying the party another place, but I have not got to know where, as I did not ask.
All the best for the young marrieds!


Segou – Festival sur le Niger

The last weekend I went to Segou to join Festival sur le Niger. Although Segou is not a big town, and certainly much smaller than Bamako, the frequency of meeting there a tourist or a resident seemed much higher than in the capital city. All this because of the festival. And since all the hotels were overbooked, the only place left where we could overnight was a terrace of the restaurant Soleil de Minuit. And contrary to my expectations of being eaten alive by the hordes of mosquitoes, since Segou like Bamako is situated on the Niger, I hardly heard one during the night. Segou is simply situated higher than Bamako and mosquitoes are no longer such a plague there.



A pirogue trip on the Niger belongs without doubts to the best moments!







The festival scene installed on the river bank attracted many people in the evenings, us among them. The concerts went into the small hours, before we used to return to our terrace lodging. To my great joy Amadou and Mariam was one of the performing groups. I felt really lucky to hear "Beau dimanche" on live.






The last day in Segou was also my last day in Mali...


There are many persons who I did not even mention here, but who made my holidays beautiful! And first of fall who made my holidays possible! Thank you!

Aucun commentaire: